Date of Inception - January 2020
The Afrigod Sports for Climate movement has both an opportunity and a duty to actively contribute to the global sustainability vision of building a healthy environment and a clean climate through sports.
- To help sports organizations reduce emissions caused by their operations.
- Leverage the worldwide popularity of sports games to engage millions of fans in the effort to join the climate movement and take action.
- Raise awareness about climate change in communities across the world through sports.
- Mitigate the negative impact of climate change on sport and local communities.
- Contribute to achieving a net-zero emissions world by 2050, as agreed by global leaders in December 2015 at the UN Climate Change Conference (COP 21) in Paris.
WHY WE MUST ACT NOW AND FAST!
According to the IPCC report released on the 8th of October, 2018 – having half a degree of warming makes a big difference but unfortunately the world is not on track to limit temperature rise to 1.5 deg C, which if not mitigated, will therefore lead to more frequent and intense drought, storms, heatwaves, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and warming oceans; all of which can directly harm animals, destroy the places they live, and wreak havoc on people’s livelihoods and communities.
This simply means we must act now and fast which is where sports come in. Sports organizations and games attract millions and billions of people from across the world.
A simple climate pledge, activity, or action from any sports organization will have a positive significant impact on millions of people both on a local and international level which will greatly contribute towards a sustainable environment and clean climate.
This is why we are calling on all sports organizations across the world to join us in raising global climate awareness and building a sustainable sports culture together.
CURRENT SPORT FOR CLIMATE GAMES
SOCIAL MEDIA GLOBAL REACH
Together with our partners, have been able to reach over 5 million people (all data are provided by our partners and the Afrigod analytics department).
- Social Media Reach + Feedbacks + Websites + Blog Articles ≈ 5.3 Million.
Measured by our activities, feedbacks and engagement principles.
- Africa ✓
- Europe ✓
- The Americas